[syslinux] syslinux: localboot error

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Mon May 9 15:01:15 PDT 2005

On Fri, 06 May 2005 21:42:24 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Quinn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you read the syslinux documentation, syslinux/extlinux does not
> > support the localboot command - only PXELINUX/ISOLINUX.
> >

> What you want to do is to use the chain.c32 module:
>
> label localhd
> 	kernel chain.c32
> 	append hd0

I've tried exactly this, with a syslinux.cfg that contains nothing else
than:

default 1
label 1
      kernel chain.c32
      append hd0

But it keeps looping endlessly showing the 'greeting' message:

SYSLINUX 3.07 2005-01-12 ...

I've tried with extlinux and it behaves the same.

The boot device is a USB stick that otherwise boots fine and the hard
disk is a ext3-formatted, two partitions and booting fine off hda1.  It
is the only hard disk present in the system,  No floppy, no nothing
else.  BIOS boot sequence is USB-HDD, HDD-0.

A quick browse of the chain.c code shown that it expects two parameters,
the drive and the partition.  So I tried a variation:

default 1
label 1
      kernel chain.c32 hd0 1
      append hd0

But still no go.

Is it really feasible to transfer the boot sequence (by means of a menu
for instance) from the boot device - the USB stick - to the local hard
disk ?

Regards,

Al