[syslinux] syslinux: localboot error

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Tue May 10 15:24:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:18:28 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> lanas wrote:

> > The boot device is a USB stick that otherwise boots fine and the
> > hard disk is a ext3-formatted, two partitions and booting fine off
> > hda1.  It is the only hard disk present in the system,  No floppy,
> > no nothing else.  BIOS boot sequence is USB-HDD, HDD-0.

> This makes the USB disk "hd0", so you presumably want to boot "hd1".

It starts to produce some result, but still no local hard disk in sight.
 The result is LILO outputting a famous 'L' when using the following
syslinux.cfg:

timeout 100
DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0

MENU TITLE Available Options

label new
      MENU LABEL Boot from USB stick
      kernel vmlinuz
      append initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=16384 root=/dev/ram0
             ide=nodma

label local
      MENU LABEL Boot from hard disk
      kernel chain.32
      append hd1 0

The exact output, when the second menu item is chosen, is:

Booting...

I get a 'Booting...' only (without 'L') if I use 'hd1 1' instead of 'hd1
0' above.

As usual, both the hard disk (ext3 Linux booting on partition 1) and the
USB stick are booting all right by themselves.

I don't know if this matters, but I prepare the hard disk ona  host
machine and I make it bootable using the lilo command: 'lilo -r
/mnt/disk -b /dev/hdc'.  Then I take out of the host and put it in a
stand-alone PC.  lilo.conf is configured for /dev/hda.

Any idea for getting the local hard disk to boot from the USB stick
using syslinux (or extlinux for that matter) ?

Regards,

Al