[syslinux] Syslinux freezes my MP3 player/flashdrive, normal dos boot does not.

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Mon May 16 19:33:39 PDT 2005

I recently got a cheap PenDrive iVO which I'll be the first to admit
is anything but perfect, but, a pretty decent player considering it's
cost is that of the other players with half the memory.  One of the
things I was looking forward to was having a great bootable flashdrive
with my favorite linux rescue image and a few other diagnostic/repair
things.  Unfortunately, since I tried to put syslinux on there, it
won't actually play MP3s anymore.  Whenever it does anything where
it's actually trying to read the filesystem, it just sort of freezes
until I remove the battery.  The light won't even shut off
automatically.  At first I thought it was just making it bootable that
made it do that, but, later I accidentally marked it as bootable
without realizing and the utility copied over that basic DOS bootdisk
produced for windows to the drive and when I copied over a MP3 I
noticed it was able to play.  I got my hopes up thinking it was just
their utility that made it work and put syslinux back on there and it
went back to freezing, so now I'm back to square one.  I can't do
nearly as much with a plain dos bootdisk as I could with the whole
suite of bootable tools I had.  So far I'm having to carry my old
flashdrive in addition to this one, but, my pockets are already too
full as it is plus I could maybe sell the old drive if I could figure
this out.

I don't know if there even is a solution to this, certainly I'm not
the most advanced user subscribed to this thing, but, I thought I'd
ask here in case someone might know more about the issue than myself.
At the very least, it occured to me it might help the author to know
it apparently can cause troubles for some devices reading the
filesystem for some reason.