[syslinux] OT: debugging dhcp hostname

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu May 19 09:51:42 PDT 2005

Given that dhcp is a big part of pxelinux, maybe someone here can help.

What dhcp client can just echo all the settings that it gets from the server?
this should work: dhcpcd -d -T  but it just gives me my MAC.

In case anyone can just fix my problem:  I am trying to construct a hostname, and
trying to figure out how to quickly test my /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf.

this works:
option host-name=concat("dhcp-", binary-to-ascii(10, 8, "-", leased-address)) ;

That creates dhcp-192-168-1-177

not not:
option host-name=concat("dhcp", substr(binary-to-ascii(10, 8, "-",
leased-address),11,3)) ;

I would like it to create dhcp177.

I am thinking instead of substr() I should just do "leased-address AND 0xff", but
not sure the syntax.

Given that this isn't the last time I will be messing with dhcp, I would still
like to know how to test.

Carl Karsten