[syslinux] Soekris net45xx initialization hang

Evan Webb evan at lockdownnetworks.com
Mon May 23 18:51:17 PDT 2005

Adding a bit more information to this:

I began going through the mailing list archives and noticed that there
were reports of older machines hanging in the exact same way that I'm
experiencing. I began going back through the pre releases and found
that:

1) Beginning with 2.20-pre1, syslinux reports "Boot failed" only. If
enter is pressed, it prints "Boot failed" again.

2) This behavior continues all the way up to 2.20-pre14, where the
behavior changes to displaying the type/version/date string ie.
"SYSLINUX 2.20 2.20-pre14".

3) All 3.0 releases tested (3.0, 3.07, 3.08, and 3.09-pre1) exhibit the
type/version/date hang behavior that began in 2.20-pre14.

I've looked through ldlinux.asm a bit, and it appears that the code to
find ldlinux.sys changed between 2.13 and 2.20. I'm wondering if perhaps
the new code isnt working on older machines and this is root cause of
this error. The change in behavior from "Boot failed" to the version
string might be that the version string is now encoded into sector 0 and
is displayed before any loading of ldlinux.asm, and this message is
somehow usurping the "Boot failed" message.

I may take a crack at altering the assembly to load ldlinux.sys, if I
do, I'll post my results.

--
Evan Webb <evan at lockdownnetworks.com>
Lockdown Networks