[syslinux] USB stick won't boot anymore

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Tue May 24 16:34:07 PDT 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:58:41 +0200
Quinn <plattel at tiscali.dk> wrote:

> Here is an alternative If you have DOS or Windows 95/98/98SE DOS:

I couldn't but smile when I read that.  This is exactly the 'recipe' I
found recently when desperatly trying to make a bootable DOS USB stick
for flashing firmware.

It works, but it depends on the stick.  I tried it again today and it
works with the Apacer Handy Steno HT202 256MB but not with the more
recent HT203 of same size.  Funny thing, the same machine can read this
HT203 when Linux is booted.

I'm presently shuffling a few sticks around trying to find a recipe to
make them readable by a dedicated PC that will be manufactured in
quantities.  I have two HT202.  One 'old' that was formatted in such a
way that it's seen by the machine and one recent with which it is so far
impossible to find the right way to format it for this machine that
runs a Timesys 2.4.18 kernel.  I just hope to upgrade this damn kernel
ASAP.  Anyhow, that's another problem.

> Now you should be able to boot dos directly from the USB stick.

Yes it works, but it didn't have the time to get as far with this as
installing syslinux on it and making it boot Linux - maybe tomorrow.
Thanks.

Al