[syslinux] Does advanced menu actually support ontimeout?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:32:49 PST 2005

On 11/6/05, Murali Krishnan Ganapathy <gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> For the tab_key code to take effect you need to register the "keys
> handler". Basically the menu system will call your keys handler, if the
> user presses any key which it does not understand. You can do what you
> want with it.
>
> - Murali
>
> Nazo wrote:
> > I've finally gotten around to playing with the advanced menu, though
> > the complex example is definitely still beyond me.  I'm trying to
> > figure out a few basics from it, such as the tab key for line editing
> > (don't know what I've done wrong here since it seems like I copied
> > that part right) and the timeout.  It looks to me like the only
> > ontimeout implemented so far is an option to not even show the menu at
> > all if the user doesn't press a key within a certain time period.
> > But, I want it to show the menu and simply time out after a while of
> > no keypresses.  Is there any way to implement this that doesn't
> > require several pages of code?  Have I just gotten mixed up and it
> > already does this but I copied that code wrong too?

Yes, well, I caught that part.  Thing is, I copied these two lines
from the complex sample code:
  reg_handler(HDLR_KEYS,&keys_handler);
  reg_ontimeout(ontimeout,1000,0);

And the appropriate declarations for those to work (as far as I know
anyway) and neither one is functioning.  That's why I asked in here.
Both seem to fit that criteria mentioned earlier.  I'm probably
missing something, but, I'm afraid I don't know what it is.  If it
were as simple as just looking in the manual and automatically
understanding I wouldn't be asking here, and I still hesitated as it
was.