[syslinux] Does advanced menu actually support ontimeout?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:34:22 PST 2005

On 11/6/05, Nazo <nazosan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/05, Murali Krishnan Ganapathy <gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> > For the tab_key code to take effect you need to register the "keys
> > handler". Basically the menu system will call your keys handler, if the
> > user presses any key which it does not understand. You can do what you
> > want with it.
> >
> > - Murali
> >
> > Nazo wrote:
> > > I've finally gotten around to playing with the advanced menu, though
> > > the complex example is definitely still beyond me.  I'm trying to
> > > figure out a few basics from it, such as the tab key for line editing
> > > (don't know what I've done wrong here since it seems like I copied
> > > that part right) and the timeout.  It looks to me like the only
> > > ontimeout implemented so far is an option to not even show the menu at
> > > all if the user doesn't press a key within a certain time period.
> > > But, I want it to show the menu and simply time out after a while of
> > > no keypresses.  Is there any way to implement this that doesn't
> > > require several pages of code?  Have I just gotten mixed up and it
> > > already does this but I copied that code wrong too?

> Yes, well, I caught that part.  Thing is, I copied these two lines
> from the complex sample code:
>   reg_handler(HDLR_KEYS,&keys_handler);
>   reg_ontimeout(ontimeout,1000,0);
>
> And the appropriate declarations for those to work (as far as I know
> anyway) and neither one is functioning.  That's why I asked in here.
> Both seem to fit that criteria mentioned earlier.  I'm probably
> missing something, but, I'm afraid I don't know what it is.  If it
> were as simple as just looking in the manual and automatically
> understanding I wouldn't be asking here, and I still hesitated as it
> was.

I guess, in case it makes it any easier, I should just paste the code
I currently have.  Note that it's probably not all right and I know
it.  I'm trying to learn as I go, but, some of this stuff is a bit
over my head as it is.  I started from the complex code and tried to
simplify as much as I could.  Here's my current attempt at "complex"
menu code:

/* -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Advanced menu system for syslinux - C code.

  For main PC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- */

#ifndef NULL
#define NULL ((void *) 0)
#endif

#include "menu.h"
#include "com32io.h"
#include <string.h>

#define EDITPROMPT 22

TIMEOUTCODE ontimeout() {
  beep();
  return CODE_WAIT;
}

void keys_handler(t_menusystem *ms, t_menuitem *mi,unsigned int scancode) {
   char nc;

   if (((scancode & 0xFF) == 0x09) && (mi->action == OPT_RUN)) {
     nc = getnumcols();
     // User hit TAB
     gotoxy(EDITPROMPT,1,ms->menupage);
     csprint("Command line:",0x07);
     editstring(mi->data,ACTIONLEN);
     gotoxy(EDITPROMPT,1,ms->menupage);
     cprint(' ',0x07,nc-1,ms->menupage);
   }
}

int main(void) {
  t_menuitem * curr;

  char MAIN;

  reg_handler(HDLR_KEYS,&keys_handler);
  reg_ontimeout(ontimeout,1500,0);

  // setvideomode(0)

  init_menusystem(NULL);
  set_window_size(1,1,23,78); // Leave one row/col border all around

  MAIN = add_menu(" Syslinux Boot Menu ", 10);
    add_item("<W>indows","Boot Windows",OPT_RUN,"chain.c32 hd0 2",0);
    add_item("<L>inux","Boot Gentoo Linux 2005.1",OPT_RUN,"gentoo
initrd=gentinit vga=0x31b root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/hda7 udev
ramdisk=16384 video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap,1280x1024-32 at 60",0);
    add_item("<G>eeXboX","Boot GeeXboX",OPT_RUN,"geexbox
initrd=geexinit.gz root=/dev/ram0 rw init=linuxrc boot=hda1 splash=0
vga=0x315 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr",0);
    add_item("<P>artition Magic 8","Boot Partition Magic 8 Rescue
Disk",OPT_RUN,"memdisk initrd=/disks/pqmagic.gz floppy",0);
    add_item("<M>emtest86+ 1.60","Boot MemTest86+",OPT_RUN,"memtestp",0);
    add_item("Prime<9>5 24.13","Boot Prime95 Test
Disk",OPT_RUN,"mprime initrd=mpinit.gz rw ramdisk_size=5325",0);
    add_item("DOS <B>ootdisk (Windows 98 based)","Boot
DOS",OPT_RUN,"memdisk initrd=/disks/dos.gz floppy",0);
    add_item("DOS <6>.22 Bootdisk","Boot DOS",OPT_RUN,"memdisk
initrd=/disks/dos622.gz floppy",0);
    add_item("----------------------------------","SEPERATOR",OPT_INACTIVE,"SEPERATOR",0);
    add_item("E<x>it","Return to Prompt",OPT_EXITMENU,"exit",0);

  curr = showmenus(MAIN);
  if (curr) {
        if (curr->action == OPT_RUN) {
            if (issyslinux()) runsyslinuxcmd(curr->data);
            else csprint(curr->data,0x07);
            return 1;
        }
        csprint("Error in programming!",0x07);