FW: [syslinux] pxelinux and bar

Ardill, Robert (DTEI) robert.ardill at saugov.sa.gov.au
Sun Nov 13 15:31:03 PST 2005

Have a look at the 911cd forums. I wrote the initial thread on RAM
booting WinPE.

To answer to question... memdisk won't work with Windows. Windows uses
32bit access (direct HW access) and memdisk relies on the BIOS. Any
programs that don't use the BIOS disk interfaces will not work. The
other problem is the allocation of memory. Windows doesn't respect the
memdisk allocation.

However it is possible using the supported RAM disk booting, but only by
using the Windows 2003 ramdisk.sys ramdisk.inf ntldr, ntdetect and
startrom.com.

In short you dump the ISO image containing the updated ramdisk.sys/.inf
to your tftp root. Create a pxeliniux config to load the startrom.bs
(startrom.com renamed). Have the ntldr (setupldr.exe) and NTdetect.com
in the root also. Create a WINNT.SIF in the root.

[SetupData]
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
BootPath = "\i386\System32\"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd
/rdpath=2\winpe.iso"
;OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdimageoffset=36352
/rdpath=2\bartpe.sdi"

That should get you started. There a heap of threads now on the topic at
911cd forums. See my original thread.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=9685&hl=

If you want to load a variety of images, then the only existing way is
to patch startrom.com and ntldr.

The other interesting thing is SDI images. You make these with the MS
Win XP Embedded tools. They work the same as ISOs, but are RW too. No
need for a secondary RAM disk. They also support FAT32 or NTFS with
compression. Note the 512MB limit still applies unfortunately.

Rob