[syslinux] loading any size image file, why?

David Walker dwalker at fdu.edu
Mon Nov 14 11:33:55 PST 2005

using winimage, create a custom image size using [b]total number of
sectors[/b], any size, unsure of max

change [b]boot sector properties[/b] to [b]win 95/98[/b]

and save the file to the isolinux directory as floppy.ima

then using isolinux.cfg file add this

default 1

prompt 1

label 1

    kernel memdisk

    append initrd=floppy.ima c=255 h=2 s=36 floppy

timeout 200

i never change the c= h= or s=, but it reeds all image sizes correctly

i have a

26,456KB for a nice dos7.1 w/ntfspro and every dos app you could need

4,500KB universal ghost bootdisk (for bart's mod boot floppy with [b]ALL
MODULES [/b]network, and scsi drivers, CD drivers, ghost)

images all work great

on a forum I am on, the people say that I shouldn’t be able to do this and
that It probably will not work on many pcs, but I work at a university and I
use this on a lot of different laptops and desktops. What exactly does the
c= h= and s= mean I know it has to do with size but it never seems to
dictate the size of the floppy, I can load any size file the biggest I’ve
loaded would be a 26,456kb image. Can anyone elaborate on this.

<`'´)

David Walker