[syslinux] Any way to boot a CD if no BIOS support & CD-ROM is not 100% standard?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Nov 19 04:32:33 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:58:30PM -0600, Nazo wrote:
> I originally asked in a hardware/software forum, but, got basically no
> results.  It occured to me that if anyone would know, it would be you
> people.  What I'm wanting to do is set up a rescue disc for a really
> old laptop.  It needs to boot up a linux based CD, hopefully with
> minimal to no working stuff on the harddrive (I plan to put a floppy
> image to be written to a disk when needed to do the actual booting.)

 <bigsnip> (SBM is Smart Boot Manager) </bigsnip>

AFAICT is a laptop with an add-on CD-ROM drive
but no BIOS support to boot from that drive.

The most clean solution would be updating the BIOS.
Contact the manufactor for detailed information.

I have no clue how much they will charge for it.

What about booting from floppy?

GSt