[syslinux] pxelinux -> pxeboot load?

Steve Finkelstein stevefink at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 12:05:22 PST 2005

Hi all,

I've searched the depths of the resources on the internet;  however
I'm having trouble deploying a pxeboot solution via pxelinux.  So far
what I have successfully implemented in my infrastructure is a
successful pxeboot setup for FreeBSD ( without the use of pxelinux ).
I'd ultimately like to have a solution that will allow me to choose a
network install of various Unix-like operating systems including
FreeBSD, RHAT8, Fedora Core 4, etc; hence the pxelinux route.

Support for KickStarting linux is clearly the easy part;  I just need
this to chainload pxeboot and proceed with my existing setup.  Here's
what I have from dhcpd.conf so far,

subnet x.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range x.x.x.x x.x.x.x ;

##For PXE BSD 4.11 get it from pxe1
next-server x.x.x.x ;
option root-path "x.x.x.x:/usr/local/export/pxe";
filename "pxelinux.cfg";
}

My tftp directory:

[root at pxe]# ls -F
boot/           grub/           mfsroot         pxelinux.0
freebsd/        kernel.gz*      pxeboot         pxelinux.bin@
freebsd.0       menu.lst        pxeboot.0       pxelinux.cfg

and most importantly, my pxelinux.cfg which is where I believe my troubles are,

default freebsd
label freebsd
  kernel pxeboot.0
  append ramdisk_size=100000 network load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0
  initrd=pxeboot vga=788 root=/dev/ram

Everything is okay on the DHCP end, as I mentioned prior, that I can
pxeboot without pxelinux, I just can't chainload the pxeboot or load a
kernel.

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated as this isn't a setup
with a lot of documentation out there.

--
Steve Finkelstein
stevefink at gmail.com