[syslinux] Some passwords failed in simple menu (menu.c32) - Part II

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Oct 3 21:44:28 PDT 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Steven Shiau wrote:
>
>> [Forgot to mail to the mailing list, do it now.]
>> Hi HPA:
>> As we post in
>> http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-September/005894.html
>> Some passwords failed in simple menu (menu.c32) in syslinux 3.11.
>> Recently we tried more, and we found more:
>> fat, matt, wayne, bear, new or 54321 all fail.
>> All the method is the same as we described in
>> http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-September/005894.html
>>

> Are you using the same seed for all of them (I think you used "x" as the
> seed in the previous email)?  Is there any commonality, e.g. that the
> encoded password contains, say, slashes?

Problem found: the base64 decoder handles plus signs incorrectly.  A fix
has been pushed out as syslinux-3.20-pre3, or you can generate passwords
with different salts until you get ones without plus signs in the encoding.

In general, you should *NOT* specify the salt, but let the program pick
a random one.