[syslinux] IPAPPEND option?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 13:15:42 PDT 2005

does the IPAPPEND option still exist?
If so I want clearification on it please.
Out of the syslinux documentation it says the
following.

The flag_val is an OR of the following options:
1: indicates that an option of the following format
should be generated and added to the kernel command
line:
ip=client-ip:boot-server-ip:gw-ip:netmask
 ... based on the input from the DHCP/BOOTP or PXE
boot server.
The use of this option is not recommended. If you have
to use it, it is probably an indication that your
network configuration is broken. Using just ip=dhcp on
the kernel command line is a preferrable option, or,
better yet, run dhcpcd/dhclient, from an initrd if
necessary.
 2: indicates that an option of the following format
should be generated and added to the kernel command
line:
BOOTIF=hardware-address-of-boot-interface
 ... in dash-separated hexadecimal with leading
hardware type (same as for the configuration file; see
pxelinux.doc.)
 This allows an initrd program to determine from which
interface the system booted.

So if I want both BOOTIF an ip environment variables I
do
IPAPPEND 3
is that correct?

Ok reason for asking is this I have lots of machines
with multiple ethernet interfaces and I do not want it
to try one interface for boot up and then a different
interface for getting an address. I'd rather it use
the same interface both times.
I have these machines in a cluster and want them
not to have to have dhcpcd or dhclient on them if they
don't need it. so it would be better and more
streamlined to pass the ip information via environment
variables. Thats what IPAPPEND is for right? So that
means "IPAPPEND 3" will create the "ip" environment
variable and "BOOTIF" environment variable correct?