[syslinux] compiling pxelinux in elf

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Oct 24 05:10:12 PDT 2005

Hi,

"Chittaranjan Mandal" <Chittaranjan.Mandal at iitkgp.ac.in> schrieb am 23.10.05 01:14:15:
> I have used pxelinux successfully in some situations.
>
> However, I am unable to boot IBM NetVista thin clients using pxelinux.
> The kernel that does boot up these thin clients over the net is in elf
> format (it is called kernel.2200).

Seems you are trying to boot the 'Networkstation 2200' thin client. What type of client is this exactly? There
should be some IBM type number with the serial number - what does this say? AFAIR it's 8362-XX for the
2200, 8363-XX for the 2300 thin clients.

These have two bioses: One uses a special bios which directly does DHCP and tftp (or even NFS)
to load a linux kernel. And no, it does not use PXE. This shows also some graphics of the box and (if found)
a server in the boot process. The other one is a PC-like bios which can boot
with pxelinux much like any other recent PC. You can switch these if you choose something like 'OS/2 Bios'
in the bios.

Regards,

Josef