[syslinux] compiling pxelinux in elf

Chittaranjan Mandal Chittaranjan.Mandal at iitkgp.ac.in
Tue Oct 25 02:53:17 PDT 2005

[Reply to message from "Josef Siemes" on Monday 24 Oct 2005 5:40 pm]

Hi,

> Seems you are trying to boot the 'Networkstation 2200' thin client. What
> type of client is this exactly? There
> should be some IBM type number with the serial number - what does this say?
> AFAIR it's 8362-XX for the
> 2200, 8363-XX for the 2300 thin clients.
I just checked 8363 on one client. We might have a mix though.
The 8363 boots with the kernel.2200.

> These have two bioses: One uses a special bios which directly does DHCP and
> tftp (or even NFS) to load a linux kernel. And no, it does not use PXE. This shows
> also some graphics of the box and (if found) a server in the boot process.
Yes, this is the bios the 8363 is running and behaving as you have described
above.

> The other one is a PC-like bios which can boot with pxelinux much like any other
> recent PC. You can switch these if you choose something like 'OS/2 Bios'
> in the bios.
It would be nice to have this bios. Are these two bioses present in the same box
with the option to choose one or the other, or do they come with different models
or options? Is there a way in which I could switch to the PC-like bios, possibly
by re-writting the FLASH?

Thanks and regards,
Chitta