[syslinux] Re: splash screen

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:42:30 PDT 2005

Yes, you pipe it in and the output back out into a new file.  He wrote
the syntax inside the file itself.  Here is the text:

##
## ppmtolss16
##
## Convert a PNM file with max 16 colors to a simple RLE-based format:
##
## uint32 0x1413f33d    ; magic (littleendian)
## uint16 xsize		; littleendian
## uint16 ysize		; littleendian
## 16 x uint8 r,g,b	; color map, in 6-bit format (each byte is 0..63)
##
## Then, a sequence of nybbles:
##
## N	... if N is != previous pixel, one pixel of color N
## ... otherwise run sequence follows ...
## M    ... if M > 0 then run length is M+1
## ... otherwise run sequence is encoded in two nybbles,
##     littleendian, +17
##
## The nybble sequences are on a per-row basis; runs may not extend
## across rows and odd-nybble rows are zero-padded.
##
## At the start of row, the "previous pixel" is assumed to be zero.
##
## Usage:
##
##	ppmtolss16 [#rrggbb=i ...] < input.ppm > output.rle
##
## Command line options of the form #rrggbb=i indicate that
## the color #rrggbb (hex) should be assigned index i (decimal)
##

I never got the hang of the color indexing, but, if you're serious
about using this, you may need to.  The reason being that the screen
can only support 4-bit colors, so whatever you assign here is what
you're going to be using on your display.  In other words, the text
will end up being one of the colors provided by this file.