[syslinux] Issue with pxelinux

Matt Burgess burgess.matt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 05:21:04 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:04:22PM -0400, Matt Burgess wrote:
> > Mr. Anvin,
> >
> > I have noticed that PXELINUX release 3.10 has fixed this issue. Is this
> > something you did explicitly, or was it by chance? Out of curiosity,
> what
> > was the fix?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Matt Burgess
> >
> > On 6/27/05, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> > >
> <snip/>

> > > Since you, unlike me, have access to the hardware, it would be better
> if
> > > you could try some debugging, including figure out exactly which
> > > prerelease broke the setup.
>
> Figure out which prerelease fixed the setup.
> (and reply below the text)
>

> Cheers
> Geert Stappers

Thanks for your help with all of this,

I have done some more testing with this and this is what I have found:

(note that if no behavior is given for "broken", assume does not exit
pxeboot)

syslinux < 3.00 — works
syslinux 2.20-pre7 — works (never an official 2.20 release)
syslinux 2.20-pre8 — broken
syslinux 3.07 — broken

syslinux 3.08-pre1 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre2 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre3 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre4 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre5 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre6 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre7 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre8 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre9 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre10 — broken
syslinux 3.08-pre11 — works

syslinux 3.08 — works

syslinux 3.09-pre1 — works
syslinux 3.09-pre2 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot*)

syslinux 3.09 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)

syslinux 3.10-pre1 — broken
syslinux 3.10-pre2 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre3 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre4 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre5 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre6 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre7 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre8 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre9 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre10 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre11 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre12 — broken (doesn't prompt and repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre13 — broken (repeatedly enters pxeboot)
syslinux 3.10-pre14 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre15 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre16 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre17 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre18 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre19 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre20 — works
syslinux 3.10-pre21 — works

syslinux 3.10 — works

syslinux 3.11-pre10 — works

* Tell pxelinux to boot from localdisk and it goes through the whole process
again... tftp's pxelinux.0, etc repeatedly and continuously

This is what the pxelinux.cfg/default config file looks like:

timeout 0
default local
display pxelinux.cfg/messages/default
prompt 1