[syslinux] MSCDEX over NDIS ethernet

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Sep 2 20:15:25 PDT 2005

Darryl L. Miles wrote:

> I would like to implement a replacement MSCDEX driver (based on the
> replacement in FreeDOS SHSUCDX
> http://johnson.tmfc.net/freedos/shsucdx.html and SYSLINUX) however
> instead of talking to disk BIOS calls or PATA chipset I would like it to
> talk to the NDIS driver and act as a TFTP client simply forfulling
> application get block requests through TFTP.

TFTP is not really the best choice for this.  You'd want a network
protocol which can support random access.

MSCDEX, which uses the DOS "redirector" (installable filesystem)
interface is not really the right thing to mimic if you want to mimic a
floppy or hard disk (like MEMDISK); rather, you'd want to be a DOS block
device, or even lower level -- mimic MEMDISK and talk to the PXE stack
beneath an INT 13h interface.

Any reason MEMDISK doesn't do what you need?