[syslinux] PXE/RIP-PXE

Kent Robotti dwilson24 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Sep 3 01:37:46 PDT 2005

>Hello syslinux Mailinglist ;)
>
>I'm new to this mailing list, the RIP Readme brought me here.
>
>I'm quite new to syslinux/pxelinux and im trying to set up some kind of
>minimal linux which is bootable via lan.
>
>I found the http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
>project, and what I read in the readme it will fit my needs.

This is just to announce a new version of the RIP Linux rescue system.

The kernel (2.6.13) and software were updated.

Added *initramfs* using TMPFS (made possible with included kernel patch),
which is preferred, because it doesn't require the running of an initrd
script 'linuxrc' and the mounting of the install media (CD or USB) etc.,
but it initially requires more RAM.

RIP is not very large (25MB compressed) and 128MB of RAM is enough to boot it.

You can boot it using the old initrd method or the new *initramfs* one.

The PXE version of RIP will just offer the *initramfs* method, because the
way it's setup it doesn't make much difference.

Any replys should also Cc me if possible.