[syslinux] Ontimeout in current menu seems to not work for me

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 13:46:09 PDT 2005

On 9/3/05, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Nazo wrote:
> > Ok, this is weird.  I have no idea why, but, ontimeout seems to have
> > stopped working for me.  I like the new layout with the countdown
> > timer on the bottom, but, when I see the timer go down to 0, the menu
> > just reloads.  I've checked and as nearly as I can tell there are no
> > error in the configuration, including the label in the ontimeout
> > command being typed correctly.  Just in case though, I'll post the
> > configuration so maybe someone can see if I made a mistake somewhere.
> > I really don't think I did, and I had no troubles with the last
> > version I was using, which I think was just the previous one right
> > before this one (one somewhere around 3.10-pres to be honest.)  I like
> > the new layout though, it's just, well, more comfortable is the best I
> > could describe since it no longer takes up the full screen and all
> > that stuff, plus the visible timer is a nice bonus.
> >

> ONTIMEOUT was completely broken in menu.c32, as in, had no effect.  I
> fixed it, but a side effect of the fix that I hadn't considered in
> enough detail is that it breaks using LABEL references in ONTIMEOUT (you
> can, however, put the actual command line there; in your case "chain.c32
> hda0 2".)
>
> The reason it "worked" for you in previous releases is that your
> ONTIMEOUT statement is completely redundant.
>
> Again, thanks a huge friggin' lot for not testing anything until I've
> just released, even though I announced it almost a week in advance.  Sigh.
>
>         -hpa

Well, I had been using it a while even before I noticed that.  So, I'm
sorry I didn't know about it, but, I'd always just hit enter when it
got to that step.  I don't normally wait for it to time out, and, in
fact, usually don't even WANT it to do that and am considering making
it a longer delay (only reason I do is since this thing is kind of
half htpc I want it to be possible to boot and use it without a
keyboard on rare occasions, especially if I ever get a remote.)

Anyway, putting the actual command in there does kind of make sense,
so I see no harm in just doing that for now.

Oh, and Bernd, according to the documentation, you put MENU DEFAULT to
specify which label you want to be the default.  Don't know if maybe
that could affect where the cursor starts or if it is just another
redundant command, I just used it to be thorough and it doesn't really
matter either way to me as long as it works.  Wasn't really necessary,
but, I find that being thorough often works out better in the
long-run, if nothing else just because it's one more command I
remember further down the road.  ^_^