[syslinux] booting from usb

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Sep 12 08:17:11 PDT 2005

Kent Robotti wrote:

> Right.
>
> My BIOS seems to only look at my USB flash drive as a floppy drive, so it
> needs to have no more than one partition (if any), and be FAT12/16/32
> formatted.
>
> I can't ext2 format my USB flash drive and have it recognized by my BIOS,
> but i suppose some BIOSs will look at a USB flash drive as a hard drive
> and not have that limitation.

Eh?  I know of no BIOS which requires a specific filesystem on a floppy
disk.  You can use ext2 on a floppy disk/zipdisk just fine, and extlinux
supports setting the geometry if needed.  Furthermore, extlinux
intentionally puts that information in the same location as the FAT
superblock, so if you have a BIOS which peeks in the FAT superblock for
geometry hints, it should still work.