[syslinux] PXE/TFTP Transfer time out problems

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Thu Sep 15 09:25:58 PDT 2005

Odd, I hooked up a pass through ethernet cable between the client and
the dhcpd/tftpd server and am now able to obtain images.

Is there something specific I would need to setup to get this to work
over a switched network?

Geert Stappers wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 06:52:08AM -0600, Jason Gerfen wrote:
>

>>Geert Stappers wrote:
>>

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>Seems like a misconfigurated tftp server
>>>( or good configurated firewall rules on that server  :- )
>>>

>>So would that occur even if you were using tftp from a command line on
>>localhost?
>>

>Yes. So you have the check both tftp server and firewall rules.
>Start with TFTP. Find a working client server combo
> ( that could mean finding a third GNU/Linux computer )
>Then connect to the server with the known good client.
>
>Over here I have 3 computers:  "bahrain", "cadiz" and "mir"
>bahrain is used as TFTP client.
>
>|stappers at bahrain:~
>|$ tftp cadiz
>|tftp> get foobar
>|Error code 1: File not found
>|tftp> get pxelinux.0
>|tftp> quit
>|stappers at bahrain:~
>|$ tftp mir
>|tftp> get foobar
>|Transfer timed out.
>|
>|tftp> quit
>|stappers at bahrain:~
>|$
>
>So cadiz is a TFTP server where one can fetch pxelinux.0
>and mir isn't TFTP server.
>
>I hope this helps.

>>>See also http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/B/bottom-post.html
>>>

>And of course http://learn.to/quote
>

>Cheers
>Geert Stappers

Jason Gerfen
Student Computing Labs, University Of Utah
jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu

J. Willard Marriott Library
295 S 1500 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0860
801-585-9810

"My girlfriend threated to
 leave me if I went boarding...
 I will miss her."