[syslinux] com16/com32 module for APM powerdown

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sun Sep 18 09:41:01 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 01:03:08PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Studying them learned me that it are two implementions
> of the same functionality. ( My first ( and wrong) assumption
> was that they have to be linked together.) Where I missed context,
> I searched for context in the syslinux source tree. As a result I
> found the com32/sample directory.
>
> Would it make sense to include apmoff.c in there?

Sure. I develop it there. :)

> > I started work on the ACPI version of it, but it will take some time to
> > parse the spec.
>
> I assume you are telling that "APM" is ready for production
> and that your next project is "ACPI".

I was reimplementing an old halt.com that I lost the source to. I
started in 8086 assembly (apmoff.asm), and then decided to add ACPI
support for some systems where APM doesn't work.

But doing it in assembly is a nightmare, so I moved to com32. And
porting the APM version to it was the first step (apmoff.c). :)

I'd rather have a full shutdown.c with APM and ACPI version, but it will
take me some time to digest the ACPI spec.

So, yes, APM is ready, ACPI will follow (hopefully).

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
lfr