[syslinux] initrd question

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 10:54:10 PDT 2005

I'm kind of curious about how initrd is loaded.
Is it the kernel that loads initrd or is it the boot
loader. I'm sorry that this isn't a syslinux question.
In particular I have a boot loader for my SGI
Workstations that the person that writes it says he
does not know if it support initrds. So I'd figure the
people that write boot loaders that do use initrds
would know. I want to try and use the SGI bootloader
off a cd like isolinux. I tried using isolinux and
syslinux but I think the SGI Workstations are so much
different that that isn't going to work. Its still x86
arch but its ram is much different and I think the
bootloader written for it loads the OS in a different
memory location to fit the differences. I also have to
compile the kernel specifically for that reason also.
Theres an option in the arch for the SGI workstations.
So my question again is: How is the initrd loaded is
it with the kernel? or is it loaded by the boot
loader? or is it with a combination of the two?

Thanks

Jeff Sadowski