[syslinux] Some passwwords failed in simple menu (menu.c32)

Steven Shiau steven at nchc.org.tw
Tue Sep 20 02:23:29 PDT 2005

Hi everybody:
I have a problem here. When I tried to use the password in the simple
menu (menu.c32), some passwords containing "at", like "hate" "rat" or
"kat" just can not pass when I enter in my client, it want me to enter
again and again. Other passwords, like "12345" and "hat" work (hat does
work). Does anybody have similar problem ?

Here is the procedure I did:
For syslinux 3.11,
./sha1pass hate x
$4$x$Bzhd0i52EbuUxui7/0MGH+hAOkQ$

The pxelinux.cfg/default is:
-------------------------
default menu.c32
prompt 0
noescape 1
MENU MARGIN 5
MENU MASTER PASSWD $4$x$Bzhd0i52EbuUxui7/0MGH+hAOkQ$

ALLOWOPTIONS 0

label local
   MENU DEFAULT
   # MENU HIDE
   MENU LABEL Local operating system (if available)
   MENU PASSWD
   localboot 0

label memtest
   # MENU DEFAULT