[syslinux] building initrd.img with updated drivers message 1 of 20)

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez gustavo at compunauta.com
Tue Sep 20 13:31:14 PDT 2005

El Martes, 20 de Septiembre de 2005 15:16, syslinux.5.warren at recursor.net
escribió:
> Gustavo Guillermo Pérez - gustavo at compunauta.com wrote:
> >El Martes, 20 de Septiembre de 2005 13:39, escribió:
> >>Can someone point me to instructions on how to build a
> >>pxeboot/initrd.img with updated drivers. I would like to pxe boot and
> >>install rh8 on a newer machine, and the pxeboot files that come with rh8
> >>(2.4.20-8) don't support my e1000 NIC. I believe that the newer
> >>2.4.20-28.8 drivers will, but I'm having trouble finding instructions in
> >>rebuilding the pxeboot initrd.img + vmlinuz to include them. Thanks,
> >
> >It is related to RH not syslinux, the way to build an initrd depends on
> > the installed RH and the tools like mkinitrd if exist (any) like on SuSE,
> > SuSE asks about the drivers to be inserted, I don't know how it to be for
> > RH.
> >
> >This is off topic for syslinux (it is just the boot loader).
>
> Gustavo - Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that
> pxelinux was a subproject of syslinux, and consequently there should be
> instructions somewhere on how to rebuild it's ram disk image. My
> question isn't really redhat specific.
Initrd images are all of them a way to allow the Linux kernel some small root
filesystem before really boots, this is possible cause the bootloader
(syslinux, pxelinux, grub, lilo, loadlin, etc). But bootloaders are the way
to use them not to make them. The people to make the stuff bootable on the
ramdisk is the same people that makes the distribution may be you can hack
the initrd uncompressing add/del some files and recompress.
gzip -d ramdisk.gz
mount -o loop ramdisk /mnt
do your stuff
umount /mnt