[syslinux] Minor idea - "Press any key to boot within 5 second" style of thing...

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:41:23 PDT 2005

I like how some cds, such as the windows installer discs will skip
booting from the disc if you accidentally left the drive because they
require you to hit a key to make them actually boot from the disc.
I've kind of tried to emulate this behavior using chain.c32, but, it
requires me to specify which harddrive, and I'd rather see an
independant setup.  I've tried localboot -1, but, it seems it's not
supported by all BIOSes (including that of my previous system --
haven't tested my current one.)

Of course, if such a thing were possible, it'd need to be an optional
thing and with configurable time (I don't like the default short
periods because sometimes it takes that long for the display and
monitor to completely initialize and it's already moved on by the time
you could have seen the message.)

Anyway, just a thought.  And if there's already some way to do this
that's independant of crappy bioses or harddrives in different
locations, it'd be great to know.