[syslinux] syslinux only works _without_ syslinux.cfg

Heiko.Helmle at head.de Heiko.Helmle at head.de
Fri Sep 23 05:02:05 PDT 2005

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange problem. I have a CF-based linux that boots
with syslinux. (I tried 3.07 thru 3.11). Booting works fine if I put the CF
into an embedded PC that detects the CF card as an IDE device (Secondary
Master).

- Some other system detects the CF as an USB device.
- I can boot from the CF card as a SCSI-Device through VMware.

In both of those cases, syslinux shows its version string and hangs, 3.11
even shows "Boot error".

Now the strange part: When i remove or rename syslinux.cfg, syslinux boots
the kernel without a problem - without parameters of course.

I do not understand, why syslinux hangs upon the mere existance of a
syslinux.cfg... can anyone give me a pointer, what i am doing wrong (or how
i could get further info why syslinux hangs...)

Mit freundlichem Gruß/ with kind regards

Heiko Helmle