[syslinux] SYSLINUX on bootabel floppy with rootfs.gz

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Fri Sep 30 06:26:09 PDT 2005

 Hi,

I am trying to make a bootable linux floppy. I have compiled the kernel and created a rootfs and compressed this to rootfs.gz.

I made this SYSLINUX.CFG

LABEL linux
	KERNEL bzImage
	append root=/dev/fd0/rootfs.gz

When booting the kernel stop and ask to insert a root disk and press ENTER.
Pressing ENTER gives me a Kernel Panic.

Is this possible?
I have tried to dd the kernel direct to the floppy and configuring the Kernel to load the rootfs.gz file on the floppy using rdev.. but it fails.

But then it would be much easier to maintain and make changes, swap kernel or swap rootfs if I could use SYSLINUX.

Mvh
Harald Jensås