[syslinux] problems booting isolinux

BuraphaLinux Server buraphalinuxserver at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 09:05:18 PDT 2006

Hello List,

Hm... people are very quiet, so I had to keep trying by myself.  The good
news is that 3.09, 3.10, and 3.11 do work, but not with a full CD.  My
experiments show that somwhere between 400MB and 450MB some limit is reached
and the CDs won't boot no matter what syslinux is on them.  When examining
the output of isoinfo -d -i whatever.iso I noticed only a few things
different between images that boot and images that do not.

Volume Size is ...
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in ....
        Bootoff ....

Values that work for this are:

Volume size is: 228182
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 109
        Bootoff 6E 110

Values that do not work for this are:
Volume size is: 244596
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 110
        Bootoff 6F 111

The problem is probably that Bootoff gets too big.  Having spent almost a
week and 50 CD blanks, I feel like narrowing it down to exactly where it
fails probably doesn't matter.  The more data I add, the larger the boot
catalog start and bootoff get.  I don't know if that is the number of
paths on the
CD index or the total number of megabytes on the CD.  What I do know is at
least for me if I'm willing to waste about 1/3 of the CD, it boots and works
on the problematic (and obviously incompatible) Award BIOS V6.00PG that
every pentium 4 on campus is using.  I didn't get an answer to this query
probably because the answer last year was to upgrade the BIOS.  Here, like
many places, BIOS will not be upgraded if it boots windows, so for people
willing to give up space on the first installation CD, there is a workaround
that doesn't require changing BIOS.

Thank you,

JGH