[syslinux] Switchroot: mount failed: 22, Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted tp kill init!

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Sun Apr 9 00:32:09 PDT 2006

Guess: your kernel was built with an initramfs that contains an init script... the init script is doing a switch_root to some hardcoded/defined/detected local device which doesn't exist (or isn't bootable) in your situation.  I'm _guessing_ that you're trying to do an old-school nfsroot mount.  That doesn't work anymore, as of 2.6.15.

See: ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt

Or I could be entirely off base, I'm basing this scenario on the little info you gave... not sure that "root=IP" does in fact do anything. (nfsroot= maybe?)  Most likely, this doesn't come down to an issue with syslinux, it seems to have done its job

:)

/eli