[syslinux] Boot loader problems and some tests

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 07:32:14 PDT 2006

On 4/10/06, Geert Stappers <stappers at stappers.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:17:58PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > Hello guys!
> >
> > I tested several boot loaders (
> >
> >       - windos 95 boot loader (works)
> >       - Smart Boot Manager (sbm)
> >       - syslinux (some versions)
> >       - grub1
> >       - netbsd on the g4u boot-cd
> >       - lilo
> > )
> >
> > on a old pc machine.
>
> Technical background:
>    - PC
>    - P1-75Mhz
>    - AST Computer is builder (BIOS and case)
>    - System can boot from a/c/cd-rom
>    - two ide channels
>       o first channel for the hd(s)
>       o second channel for the ide-cd (hdc)
>
> > You can find my problems and results at [0].
> A deeper link[1] says:
> | General information:
> |   Syslinux is installed on mostly all Linux-related cdroms.
> |   In one situation it works, in most not.
>

> > What is really strange for me is that syslinux worked once, but
> > not anymore.
>
> URL [1] mentions [2] which says
> | If you are cursed with a system on which ISOLINUX simply will not
> | operate, you may want to try to load SBM onto a floppy and then use its
> | "Boot From CD-ROM" feature, which will use SBM's El Torito stack and not
> | the BIOS's.
> |
> | If you encounter this on a new system, don't forget to complain loudly
> | to your vendor and/or obtain a BIOS upgrade.
>
> > Perhaps you can give me you comment on the problems I had
> > with 'your' bootloader (partly I already have feedback) and
> > perhaps those problems can even be removed.
>
> The invitation for investigation is seen.
> ( [3] )
>

> > Sincerly
> >
> > Nico
>

> Cheers
> Geert Stappers
>

> > [0]: http://creme.schottelius.org/~nico/linux/debug/boot_loader/ast/
> [1] http://creme.schottelius.org/~nico/linux/debug/boot_loader/ast/syslinux
> [2] http://syslinux.zytor.com/sbm.php
> [3] and will be ignored, at least by me

Hmm, I'm a little confused by all this, but, if I understand
correctly, previous versions of Syslinux worked, current do not.  Yes?
 Didn't Syslinux start making usage of EBIOS around 3.11 or somewhere
in that general timeframe?  I know I've experienced troubles working
especially with my really old system due to poor EBIOS implementations
and this sort of thing (one of these days we need to hire some people
to go hold up the BIOS manufacturers and get a promise out of them to
follow a standard or two for a change.  Just one or two even, darn...)
 Anyway, my point?  Try using a really old version and see if it
works.  3.06 or something perhaps.  I think my troubles regarding that
particular relatively old machine first started showing up around that
time, though the issue was later solved, and it turned out the issue
was due to bad EBIOS implementation where the system would say "ok, I
have what you want, go ahead and use it" it would test it, the system
would say "yep, definitely working," it would use it, and bam,
failure.  At least I think it went something like this, only, lol, a
little less human factore there obviously.