[syslinux] The 'Unknown keyword in config file' problem

Michael Prokop news at michael-prokop.at
Wed Apr 12 12:14:18 PDT 2006

Hello,

the topic was already discussed in (for example)
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-March/006586.html
but I'd like to f'up as there does not seem to be a fix yet.

I'm maintainer of a Live-CD and several users reported the problem:

| Unknown keyword in config file
| Could not find kernel image: grml

to me. The problem wasn't present with older isolinux versions (IIRC
until 3.08), but with newer versions (including 3.11) it's present
on several boxes. :-(

I don't own such a problematic box, but a workaround on most (all?)
systems seems to be just running "linux26", the name of the kernel
shipped with the ISO.

I mention the problem and the workaround in the docs of course and
people who read the docs or already know the problem can work around
the issue of course. But it's very annoying for new users because
they think either the distribution or their CD is broken. :-/
(And upgrading/fixing the BIOS isn't an option always.)

I'm very interested in finding a solution for the problem, as a
fallback to an older version of isolinux is just a workaround and
doesn't solve the problem itself. And (AFAICS) the more newer
versions of isolinux are around, the more users/distributions are
stumbling on this problem.

Please let me know if you need any further information or how I can
help you tracking down the problem.

thx && regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins