[syslinux] Syslinux boot problems with Flash Disk - prints character 'j'

Brendan Gillatt bren_gillatt at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 15:15:23 PDT 2006

I'm sorry if this has already been posted - I've only been subscribed
for a month or two and I did search thoroughly through the archives.
Basically I am using Syslinux to boot my flash disk with Linux (MOVIX2).
I am using a Kingston Data Traveler 2.0.
When syslinux -s /dev/sda is executed I get an error of 'ERROR 3246:
Boot sector read failed' yet it seems that something has been written as
there is LDLINUX.sys on the drive. Furthermore after reading out the
boot sector with mkbt there is no entry of Syslinux - just the default
'remove disks' notice.
When I plug the disk in and boot from it (my BIOS does support usb
booting) all that happens is that the character 'j' is printed to the
screen. It hasn't even got to starting the kernel or even printing
anything to do with Syslinux.
Has anyone else had similar results or know of how to fix it?
TIA

--
 /-----------( Brendan Gillatt )----------\
<---( http://www.brendangillatt.co.uk )---->