[syslinux] Re: SYSLINUX Digest, Vol 37, Issue 9

Dietmar Stölting dietmar.stoelting at t-online.de
Thu Apr 13 19:43:55 PDT 2006

Hi all,
my name is Dietmar and I have found out, how to boot full XP from USB.

I want to clear the situation for a Bios, that has no USB support at all:

This is exact like a SCSI drive, that has no Bios on its slotcard.

You can overcome this with ntbootdd.sys.

ntbootdd.sys has to stay on the floppy disk, together with boot.ini
(scsi(0) entry instead multi(0) there) and ntdetect.com and ntldr.

My problem is, HOW to build such an ntbootdd.sys driver,
because usbstor.sys isnt enough for that, all the other usb*.sys drivers
from the USB stack have also to be integrated in that ntbootdd.sys.

And I have only the idea, to modify the Recovery Console of XP in that
way, that you can do a chainboot from it, because the recoveryconsole is
only
7 MB large and has all the needed USB drivers integrated and started!

I dont know any other small system, that has USB drivers integrated, that
works on XP.

Nice to hear from you all
Dietmar