[syslinux] Re: syslinux] tftp server with mysql backend

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Mon Apr 24 20:17:33 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 10:49:46PM -0400, R P Herrold enlightened us:
> >Are there any open source efforts ( I haven't found any) that have a tftp
> >server with a mysql backend?  I'd like an incoming pxelinux request to
> >give the tftp server the mac address, and then it performs a query to find
> >out which configuration file it should get.  Of course it would be great
> >if some day tftp-hpa would integrate with libmysql..
>
> I know of three implementatons, sort of in this space; I
> documented dynamically returned installation profiles (keyed
> on MAC, IP, prior distribution release version, etc values)
> using a PHP dispatcher a couple of years ago;
> [ http://www.owlriver.com/support/yum/ ], which was also
> demonstrated at a local LUG by Jim Wildman and I
> [ http://www.colug.net/notes/0502mtg/ ]; a private
> installation at a commercial site which I do not have
> permission to mention; and a recent reimplementation and
> extension, on the CentOS platform, which Matthew R. Hyclak
> <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu> has been working though after a
> requirements statement, some poking and review by me ;)
>
>    https://www.math.ohiou.edu/repos/netserv/trunk/README
>
> I recall Matt, and a couple other folks were up from Athens
> for that meeting, but do not see his picture in the LUG
> photos.

As a head's up, this README is slightly out of date. It is accurate for the
tags/0.1 release. The code in trunk generates the kickstart file from a mysql
database. The database layout is very rough as I work my way through some
things, so comments are most certainly welcomed.

I'm trying to keep the docs up to date, and trunk is very much a moving
target at this point, so use at your own risk!

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics