[syslinux] Extract DMI info when running PXELINUX

Coe, Colin C. Colin.Coe at woodside.com.au
Tue Aug 8 18:15:25 PDT 2006

Hi all

Is there any way to extract information (like what dmidecode provides)
from within PXELINUX and, based on this information, selectively perform
an action?

What I'm trying to do is provide a method of flashing the BIOS of our HP
Linux workstations but different workstations use different methods of
updating the BIOSes.  For example,  the xw9300 uses 'rompaq' where the
xw8400 uses 'flashbin'.  I have this working for the xw9300 workstations
but I don't want to rely on people selecting the correct option, I
rather parse 'Handle 0x0002' and choose automatically based on 'Product
Name'.

Google found this link for me
(http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-March/004944.html).  The serial
number is in the same block as the product name.

Ideas?

CC