[syslinux] 3.20-pre11 with password management

Erwan Velu erwan at seanodes.com
Fri Aug 11 06:07:34 PDT 2006

Hey folks,

I was trying the complex menu from the lastest pxelinux 3.20-pre11. It
did install a password file in the /isolinux/ of my tftpserver.

Then I try to authentificate myself as user3 with as password I've been
tranforming using sha1pass.

When I select login, the screen blink and doesn't ask me anything. I
reslect login, it ask me for a username.
I give user3 and then my password.

The menu is frozen, I can't do anything on it, after ~10 keys pressed it
beeps.

I tried on two different systems (one dell and one HP), it does the same.

PS: I tried the hpa's trick to sha1pass <password> | tr + -, it does the
same.

Did I make a mistake on the way it works ?

Erwan,

PS: the password file is readable
I did :
[root at konilope syslinux-3.20-pre11]# ./sha1pass test
$4$D0QLvZ9f$N5kBhGVrcQxyhADhIO0pnEIF6fw$
[root at konilope syslinux-3.20-pre11]#

and my password file looks like:
user1:LcMRo3YZGtP0c:editcmd
user2:FqewzyxP78a7A:
user3:$4$D0QLvZ9f$N5kBhGVrcQxyhADhIO0pnEIF6fw$:root