[syslinux] Making DOS/Win9x HD Image for memdisk

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez gustavo at compunauta.com
Sat Aug 26 21:11:55 PDT 2006

El Viernes, 25 de Agosto de 2006 15:28, Lukas Tribus escribió:
> This was only a reply of my first post -->
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-August/007108.html
> sorry for that
Be creative, when someone needs to get working something... you put YOUR mind
to work, not other's minds, as you can see many mailing list always help
someone who has the ability to try an still trying and try to workaround the
errors.

When I was trying to build a 2.88 floppy image without having one, I was
really desesperate by space on a 1.44 working image I have, with no luck,
hangs, no bootable error messages, etc, etc. But, cause I know it should
work.... as many others can....

Then my solution was to give up with dosemu, and boot a real w98 rescue floppy
over memdisk trow pxe on a small older disk or a new one, but there is not
needed to create an image about 100MB to fit a small program, even I was
having a 120GBSATA HD I was created a 4MB FAT12 Partition, active and working
over a real hard drive, txs to memdisk and an image of working boot disk, but
you can boot with a real one if you still having one.

Over Linux using dd,
dd if=/dev/sda bs=1K count=$[4096+32] of=/tmp/doshd_image.img
I guess there should be 32 but I can't remember how many 512b sectors is about
the partition table.

My image works, and every time I need a new image for almost update bios on my
small cluster, or other experiments, I can mount in a loopback device, and
touch everything less boot files:

mount -o loop,offset=$[512*63] /tmp/doshd_image.img /mnt

umount and copy as another boot option.....
Again, memdisk is a great soft, that has nothing to do with creating hdd
images.....

--
Gustavo Guillermo Pérez
Compunauta uLinux