[syslinux] How to enable F12 key to start PXE boot?

Greg_Chu at Wendys.com Greg_Chu at Wendys.com
Mon Aug 28 08:45:13 PDT 2006

Bob,

I was using Microsoft Embedded Remote Boot Service, not RIS.

Anyway I tried your suggestions:

I used
http://pxes.sourceforge.net/howtos/ms_only_environment/
to install the tftp service (did not use your tftpd.inf)

and added option 043, 060, 066, 067 to DHCP server
when booting system up, I do not see prompt saying "press F12 for network
boot", the system just boot into PXE . But the PXE boot menu does show up
fine. What I want is system will not see the PXE menu, unless the user
press F12.  I will try to use your inf file to install TFTP and try it
again.

Do you see I miss anything?  Where is that F12?

Thanks for help.

Greg

the default is shown below:

DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 500
ONTIMEOUT local
ALLOWOPTIONS 0
MENU ROWS 4
MENU WIDTH 80
MENU MARGIN 15
MENU PASSWORDMARGIN 20
MENU TIMEOUTROW 20

MENU TITLE Welcome to the Network boot menu

LABEL local
        MENU LABEL ^Local Boot (Windows)
        LOCALBOOT 0

LABEL winpe
        MENU LABEL WinPE (ISO)
        KERNEL 1/startrom.bs

LABEL bartpe
        MENU LABEL BartPE (SDI)
        KERNEL 2/startrom.bs

LABEL vendor
        MENU LABEL Submenu
;       MENU PASSWD soeinst
        KERNEL menu.c32
        APPEND pxelinux.cfg\submenu

submen is shown below:

MENU TITLE Systems Tools Menu

MENU ROWS 14
MENU WIDTH 80
MENU MARGIN 18
MENU ENDROW 24
MENU PASSWORDMARGIN 20
MENU PASSWORDROW 10
MENU TABMSGROW 23
MENU TIMEOUTROW 24

LABEL ghost
        MENU LABEL Ghost Disk
        KERNEL 5/startrom.bs

LABEL imgbu
        MENU LABEL Winpe raw
        KERNEL 6/startrom.bs

LABEL mainmenu
        MENU LABEL Exit - Main Menu
        KERNEL menu.c32

"Ardill, Robert (DTEI)" <robert.ardill at saugov.sa.gov.au>
08/27/2006 08:55 PM

<syslinux at zytor.com>, <Greg_Chu at wendys.com>
cc

Subject
RE: [syslinux] How to enable F12 key to start PXE boot?

Hi Greg,

Looks like your trying to get a simple disk image loaded under RIS. RIS
is not design to do this. The problem with RIS is that the "remote boot
service" (binlsrv) overides any DHCP options for PXE. This is just one
of the many traps you'll find when trying to run pxelinux in a RIS
environment. If you're not using RIS in the traditional sense, then
uninstall it and use the tftpd.inf file to just install the tftpd
service by itself. This will just install the tftpd service and not the
binl service.

To get PXE running up in an MS environment, follow the below guides.

1. Install a TFTPD server.

Download and right click to install. If it asks for files, point it at
your i386 install source dir.

http://users.on.net/~rardill/tftpd.inf

Before running the inf (right click -> Install) edit the directory reg
key, if you want to use a directory other than
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc

Note the directory reg key differences (type expand vs standard) if you
are using Win2000 else it won't work.

Then download http://users.on.net/~rardill/tftpboot2.zip to your
nominate directory above as a guide for setting up your imaging/recovery
environment.

Use the tftp.exe command to test that it works.
ie. Tftp -I <IP address of server> GET pxelinux.0
A successful transfer mean it working.

2. Setup your DHCP scope for that site.

Add the necessary DHCP options to your server as per this link below
using netsh.

http://pxes.sourceforge.net/howtos/ms_only_environment/

3. Turn on a PXE enable PC and press F12 to display the pxelinux menu
(menu.c32).

Hope that helps.

Regards
Rob