[syslinux] pxelinux and syslinux configuration files

Shaya Potter spotter at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 28 11:50:00 PDT 2006

Am I wrong to believe that pxelinux can't use syslinux configurtion
files as is?

I have a syslinux/isolinux setup that works fine in those environments,
lets me boot a root file system based on different criteria.

However, when I moved it over to pxelinux, i'm able to have it get an ip
address over dhcp, fetch pxelinux.0 over tftp and seemingly fetch
'default' from /pxelinux.cfg/ (tftpd-hpa).  However, it immediately
fetches 'linux' (as in the kernel) from / (again tftpd-hpa) and doesn't
seem to fetch my initrd at all.

this is 2 problems.

a) it doesn't give me a chance to select which configuration I want
(even thought I have "PROMPT 1"

b) it's not fetching the minirt

this leads me to think that it's not seeing the 'default' and for some
reason just fetching 'linux' as a last resort.  Is this correct?  any
way to debug this with tftpd-hpa ?

thanks.