[syslinux] Time out would not boot from local drive

Greg_Chu at Wendys.com Greg_Chu at Wendys.com
Wed Aug 30 13:47:52 PDT 2006

Peter,

Thanks a bunch, the problem is my menu.c32 and pxelinux.0 version
mismatched. It works fine now. I did not realize that dependency between
them.

I have another question not yet answered, I tried to have F12 show up so
user can  press it to get into PXE boot and have no success.  If I change
to use MS startrom.com then F12 shows up, but how can I tell startrom.com
to continue boot from pxelinux.0 Tried some other users ways, but none
works so far. I guess all because I use MS remote boot service.  I think
startrom.com tells BIOS to prompt F12 key to continue the PXE boot, then
if no F12 key pressed then abort PXE and enter local boot.

Do I have a way to configure pxelinux to prompt F12 before it continues?
If no F12 key then do local boot?

Really appreciate your help.

Greg

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
08/30/2006 04:10 PM

Greg_Chu at wendys.com
cc
syslinux at zytor.com
Subject
Re: [syslinux] Time out would not boot from local drive

Greg_Chu at Wendys.com wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I checked menu.c32 in the older versions, version 3.00 works, from 3.01
> and forward, all does not work.
> The only bad thing in 3.00, it would not display how many seconds left
> before time out.

I just checked this, and there are NO changes to the simple menu system
between 3.00 and 3.01.  "Ontimeout" wasn't even supported in the simple
menu system until version 3.11-pre11, and the timeout counter was
introduced in 3.11-pre6.  So, I really don't believe the version numbers
you have listed above.

Please try out 3.20, and make sure that menu.c32 and pxelinux.0 match.