[syslinux] How to determine your bootloader from the kernel

Tim Deegan Tim.Deegan at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 01:56:22 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:00:03PM -0800, syslinux-request at zytor.com wrote:
> If you have a multiboot kernel which is booted by
> syslinux/pxelinux/isolinux, etc., is there a way to determine who actually
> is the bootloader among the three?
>
> I'm wondering if the multiboot header or any part of memory has a consistent
> identifier somewhere.

The multiboot "Bootloader ID" field is filled in with mboot.c32's
version string, but doesn't say which derivative of SYSLINUX called it.

It should be a very minor patch to append the syslinux version string to
it (call syslinux with ax=0001 to get the string, increase mbi_size
appropriately and do some more strcpying at the bottom of main()).

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group