[syslinux] ISOLinux Windows / linux Install DVD

Murali Ganapathy murali at google.com
Mon Dec 4 09:40:01 PST 2006

On 12/1/06, Ryan McLean <ryanm at accelrys.com> wrote:
> >>IIRC the string "i386" is hard coded in the Windows boot loader and a
> >>few other places (I think Winnt.sif and possibly one more place). If
> >>you want to have multiple versions of windows files and/or a
> >>non-standard name, you would need to make a copy of the Windows boot
> >>loader (see BartPE's website for more info) and use a Hex Editor to
> >>replace i386 with some other 4 letters and change winnt.sif and
> >>possible one other file similarly.
> >>
> >>Question is what do you want to do with windows boot files? Boot into
> >>a recovery console alone. Boot into a (almost) full fledged windows
> >>right off the DVD? If the later you are better off installing BartPE
> >>(http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) on the DVD.
>

> I basically want to make a DVD that will allow my users to select from
> ISOLinux several different installs.
>         1. Boot from HDD
>         2. Manual install of Redhat 4.3
>         3. ATA install of redhat 4.3
>         4. SCSI install of redhat 4.3
>         5. Install windows XP Pro SP2
>

> >>If you want to be able to install Windows only from your DVD, you need
> >>the contents of the whole CD. The only case where you would want a
> >>subset of files from the CD is if you only want the recovery console
> >>or want to install windows but using the files on a network share.
> >>
> >>Somebody else more familiar with Windows installation, can
> >>confirm/correct my statement.
> >>
> >>- Murali
>
> As you have guessed the linux and boot from hdd was easy to do.. Its just
> windows that is acting up as par usual.
>
> I have extracted the boot sector from the windows boot CD and changed I386
> to PRO1 as per this guide: http://flyakite.msfn.org/
> I have also modified "setupldr.bin" to point to PRO1 instead of I386 and
> "txtsetup.sif" to point to the new location on the disk for the files.
>

> If i use memdisk and initrd=/PRO1/setupldr.bin

You should not use memdisk with setupldr.bin. Memdisk is only to be
used with floppy and disk images. setupldr.bin is to be considered a
standalone kernel. Namely, try

KERNEL /PRO1/setupldr.bin

and not KERNEL memdisk initrd=/PRO1/setupldr.bin

> Out of curiosity would it be possible for someone to code a module (or
> even add a windows option to syslinux) that would allow isolinux to boot a
> windows install without having to fiddle with windows boot sectors. imo
> this should be simple (for someone who understands this stuff (ie not me
> :) ) ) to do as the boot sector just seems to call the bootfix.bin then
> setupldr.bin in the i386 folder. The setupldr.bin then calls the
> txtsetup.sif for all the other locations etc.  Obviously people would
> still have to modify their own setupldr to point to new locations if
> applicable as modifying it is probably illegal.

It might be easy to do it. But since most of us are not well versed in
legalese, it is easier for us to give instructions on how to do it and
let the user do it. Also it is not that difficult or time consuming if
the instructions are correct. That said, once you get the whole thing
working, it would be great if you could add the exact instructions to
the SYSLINUX Wiki page.

- Murali