[syslinux] Special Boot issue.

Andy Kennedy akennedy at techmoninc.com
Tue Dec 5 10:05:14 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> If the BIOS makes the flash look like a hard disk (int 13h), then
> syslinux can just use it as-is.  This is actually the most likely
> scenario.
>
> Otherwise, you have to modify the routine "getlinsec" in the SYSLINUX
> MBR (ldlinux.asm and extlinux.asm) to load the data from your flash
> instead of from disk via int 13h.
>
>     -hpa

I wish it were that simple.  Unfortunately, however, the BIOS displays
the Flash Memory as a floppy drive with type 8.  Linux won't even go
there.  The best I could do was access it one page at a time.  The Linux
drivers for it wouldn't even attempt to read this as a block device.
I'm kinda screwed from that end.

Thanks for pointing me toward the right direction.  I'm having to shake
off 12 years of rust on Assembly.  And even then, the knowledge under
the rust wasn't that spectacular to begin with.  Never really did
ANYTHING with my college Assembly course.

Thanks again for the help.
Andy