[syslinux] PXELinux sporadic hangs searching for config file

Joe Mroczek mr.joem at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:45:55 PST 2006

On 1/29/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Joe Mroczek wrote:
> > I should have included what we get on our serial console, which at
> > least appears to match up to a VGA console when it is attached. This
> > obviously does not match up with the TFTP server log from earlier,
> > however it should still illustrate what we are seeing:
> >
> > - pxelinux is 2.04  2003-04-16 H.Peter Anvin
> > - UNDI data segment at: 00089930
> >   UNDI data  segment size : B440
> >   UNDI code segment at : 00084d70
> >   UNDI Code segment  size: 2e00
> > - pxe entry point found(we hope) at 94d7:0106
> >     Trying to load:  pxelinux.cfg/80000afe
> >     Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/80000af
> >     Trying  to load: pxelinux.cfg/80000a
> >     Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/80000
> >     Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/8000
> >
> > There is nothing more on either console after this. We have let the
> > system sit for over 2 days with no further reporting to the console.
> > When checking the TFTP log we see the NAK for the last file printed to
> > the screen, a sniffer attached to a snoop port on an intermediary
> > swtich shows the NAK and it appears well formatted.
> >

> OK, you have me flabbergasted.  No idea what the issue is.

This goes back to my orignal questions:

1) If NAK is not received for a file, will PXELinux rerequest the file?

2) If NAK is received but corrupted, will PXELinux rerequest the file?

3) Is there a timer in PXELinux that should reboot the machine if boot
fails? If so, is it expected to fire in the above listed
circumstances?

>         -hpa
>
> P.S. Please don't take things off-list.

Sorry, gmail seems to lack a reply to all button.

~joe