[syslinux] [tftp-hpa] [Patch] Bad src address on replies from aliased interfaces

Simon Vallet svallet at genoscope.cns.fr
Thu Feb 16 08:44:33 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:11:37 -0800
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Are you using inetd mode?  If so, it's likely inetd doesn't provide the
> right magic to deliver IP_RECVDSTADDR; running in standalone mode should
> take care of that.

No -- all tests were done in standalone mode

> > Attached is the minimal patch to correct the typo, and a tcpdump output
> > showing the first tftp request to the alias -- only the alias (.132) is
> > replying (no more replies from the .129 address), however all it sends
> > out are ICMP unreachables. Any ideas ?
>
> This implies nothing is bound on port 69 on that address, or that you
> have a filter that's blocking that port having the same effect.

Yes, that's why I find this behaviour strange: subsequent client
requests do succeed -- so the server does listen on this port, and there
are no filtering issues.

Anyway, it is possibly an OS issue, and having to perform the
first request twice seems like an acceptable workaround for us now.

Thanks,
Simon