[syslinux] pxelinux.0 on pSeries

abuji aboojy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:28:56 PST 2006

Hi,

I am new to this list, but would greatly appreciate any help on the topic.

We are trying to automate the build/installation of a pSeries machine
using kickstart server. We have a process in place that completes a
system build of xSeries machines. It uses pxelinux.0 to direct the
bootp to the kernel, ramdisk and kickstart.config file. I was trying
to use the same process to build the pSeries machine.

Appropriate booimage and files are placed on the kickstart file. The
client PXEboots succesfully from the kickstart server and grabs the
pxelinux.0 file. Then it stops with a message 'Unrecognized Program
Format" as if the architecture could not process the pxelinux.0. Does
that mean we have to recompile the pxelinux.0 on the pSeries (ppc)? I
searched the archive and found a thread on using pxelinux.0 on ppc
(Suse). I copied the src over, compiled and tried with that pxelinux.0
and got the same error.

Also, we have a note regarding option 209 in dhcpd.cnf file (in
syslinux FAQ) which would direct the bootp to the kickstart.cfg file.
Somehow the boot proccess doesn't reach that stage, as it appears to
hang at pxelinux.0

It could be that my pxelinux.cfg/<file> is wrong. I am not sure. I
reached a dead end. Any help/directions would be greatly apreciated to
get the pxelinux.0 to work on a pSeries.

Thanks
Abraham