[syslinux] Question on Kernel boot options

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Jan 8 19:35:28 PST 2006

Since you have a CD there should not be any immediate space issues. In
my opinion the best solution will be to build only the absolutely
essential things into the kernel and keep everything else as modules. At
boot time, you can pass options to the boot command line to
enable/disable certain modules. All the options passed at boot time not
understood by the kernel is available in /proc/cmdline. So your init
scripts can use them and to decide whether to load certain kernel modules.

All your users need is to pass in the right boot time options. But even
that can be simplified by creating a menu of commonly used combinations
and let the expert users to try various combinations. This way you will
need very few kernels (in the ideal world only one).

- Murali